Monday, August 23, 2010

Weekend Update: August 21&22





Wow! What a GREAT GREEN Weeekend!
It all started with an Open House at the Florida School of Holistic Living. I passed the building almost twice, but found it. 
The Florida School of Holistic Living

The building was unassuming, but very quaint. Upon arriving I signed in a surveyed the room.
 There were some seeds and herbs laid out on a table, all free (donations were accepted). I snagged some great seeds to start. 
the table of seeds and herbs

There were also treats from Rhapsodic Cooperative Bakery and Homegrown Food Co-op. A first for me this weekend was trying a tea called Kombucha. This tea is a fermented tea, that has detoxification properties, probiotics and B vitamins. I had a strawberry version of this drink. It is hard to explain, like a tart "hard" tea. If you get a chance, it's definitely worth a try.
Kombucha lady
I found out soon that there would be a mini-workshop on tinctures. i felt it was worth staying to learn more. I'm happy I did. I learned about making a tincture and the ability to save some the herbs in liquid form from your garden or that you purchase.The Instructor, Donia, was a herbology student at the school. I hope to write more about tinctures soon!
Donia, the instructor

Sunday we headed out to the Orlando Farmer's Market at Lake Eola. I love farmers markets because you get local, and this was no exception. Our first Local was a local I had tried previously at the Festival of Chocolate. I love love love her brownies, this lady is Classy Cakes and Candies. We then moved on to Happy Bee Honey Farm honey. This lady had every imaginable form of local, raw honey. We tasted several types and chose a Palmetto Honey. (We must have tried at least 4 or 5 before that one though.)
The Bee lady
SO many types of honey
My oldest daughter (Indigo) tastes a honey stick     
The next visit was with a baker of organic and natural baked goods. Pleasant Fields Bakery. He had huge squares of pound cake to sample. YUMMY! It was so good, we decided on lemon pound cake and a loaf of bread. We then moved on to try Tia Chips plantain chips. These were so thin and crispy, easily gone in a few bites. Our last visit was to Che Bella Cheese, where I got a great pecorino. Che Bella was great. We had many samples and the staff was great about educating on cheeses.
Che Bella cheese

say cheese!
the cheese
Overall I had a GREAT GREEN weekend! It was full of education, local foods and family time. I look forward to sharing more with you soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment